Sunday, October 21, 2012

Safe.

That movie...

It made me very nervous. I'm not exactly sure why, but it probably has to do with the idea of locking up oneself in a tiny white room. I felt uneasy and anxious as we watched the movie.

I agree with the director. This is a horror film. The pace of the story and the way it was filmed (long shots of everything) basically scream horror. Really the only difference was that nothing jumped out or tried to kill Carol. Carol wasn't possessed, she had an illness. In the end when she stood in front of the mirror saying "I love you" I fully expected it to become the ending of "Paranormal Activity" (The first one, I think there's about 80 Paranormal Activity movies now). I suppose what makes it truly scary is that no paranormal activity was involved. Carol wanted to move away and lock herself into a white room.

I am having a hard time relating to our agoraphobia discussions. I get that this is a legitimate form of madness that affects women. Really, I do, but I don't understand it. What makes someone want to lock up themselves to be safe? Is life even worth living if you are that worried about being safe? How is that fun?

Well classmates, I am at my parent's house and I forgot my notes so I shall update this when I go back to my place and get them. I rode my horse at a gallop today. Yeah my ankle is still broken but it's healing and the doctor said I can do things again. Anyway today was a good day.

1 comment:

  1. "What makes someone want to lock up themselves to be safe? Is life even worth living if you are that worried about being safe? How is that fun?"

    I think it is important to note that anxiety is not fun... Maria Archer said something in a post, "Going out is too hard, so I'll just stay in." (Or something to that effect.) The effort that everyday tasks require and the anxiety they produce can make life not worth living in some people's view.

    ReplyDelete