Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Pass the pills and fancy plants/ give us this day our daily trance



"Pass the pills and fancy plants/ give us this day our daily trance."  Prozac Nation page 117

I really like this quote and I am incredibly disappointed that it isn't lyrics to a song. It needs to be a hard trance or happy hardcore song (not dubstep). I'm in the mood to rave, so let's talk about ecstasy in the context of this book.

But seriously why are those lyrics not a song?

"I didn't like pot, I didn't like cocaine, I didn't like drinking (though I seemed to do all of them anyway), but Ecstasy was a sweet relief for me" Page 116.

This makes perfect sense to me given the Elizabeth's circumstances. At this point of the book, she is at Harvard. She's depressed and in a constant state of feeling down. Pot is a downer drug. Coke is a downer drug. Alcohol is a downer drug. Why go down when you can go up?  Ecstasy tends to make the user happy. They're in a good mood and it's normal to want to hug everyone. The senses are enhanced. Lights look brighter. Music sounds richer. A touch to the skin feels weird in a good sort of way. It makes you want to dance. "Bad trips" do not happen on E. It's just the sort of escape Elizabeth is looking for, even if only temporary.

"At parties, we walked up to people and told them how much we loved them. On ecstasy, we were best friends with everybody, we no longer felt the class distinctions that were all over Harvard, we no longer felt poor and ugly." page 116.
See what I mean? Of course, we know that for Elizabeth, this led to drug abuse.
"I was loading myself with whatever available medication I could find, doing whatever I could to get my head to shut off for awhile." page 121.
To conclude, drugs. Ecstasy is a happy drug. Now have a complementary mini rave:



No comments:

Post a Comment