Monday, December 10, 2012

"It's called the South Beach Fat Flush and all you drink is cranberry juice for 48 hours."



Isn't it interesting how one of the ways that Cady Heron destroys Regina George was to get rid of her "good physique?" And Regina was super focused on her weight, mostly to fit in to a spring fling dress that she had put on hold in January. The store was called 1, 3, 5 and they only carried sizes 1, 3, and 5. When the dress didn't fit, Regina was offended that she should try Sears. When she found out what Kalteen Bars were, she flipped her shit. She even made a big deal about what food she would eat. She drank cranberry juice cocktail, went on an all carb diet, and tried to lose three pounds. And remember that scene in the beginning where Cady did math for them? Regina would only eat foods with less than 35% calories from fat... but then she got cheese fries.

Weight was a big deal to the Plastics (If Northshore was US Weekly, they would always be on the cover). If they didn't follow the rules of Girl World (Girl World had a LOT of rules), then they were denied the honor of sitting at the cafeteria table with the rest of the Plastics. When Regina gained some weight, she was forced to wear sweat pants on the wrong day of the week (you can only wear jeans or track pants on Fridays). Wearing the sweat pants got her kicked out of the table, and ultimately, kicked out of the Plastics.




I just want you all to know that I can quote Mean Girls so I did not need to look any of that stuff up.

So since we shared personal stories in class, here's mine:

I went to my senior prom in high school. I wasn't dating anyone at the time, so a friend arranged for one of her friends, Mark, to go with me. Then, at the last minute, my best friend at the time Sam decided to go. I like to say that the three of us were the best prom group and that Mark and I were the best dancers.

As is customary in America, we went to dinner before the prom. We decided on Cap City Diner. If you haven't been there, it is REALLY GOOD. So, we get the menu and it was decided that Sam and I were getting huge cheeseburgers. We knew what we liked. When the waitress took our order, she was surprised but she seemed to think it was refreshing that two girls in prom dresses were not having a salad. And of course, when she asked for the dessert menu, we said HELL YES and each had a slice of peanut butter pie and that was amazing.

When I looked around, the other girls did have salads. And no dessert. It really sucks that they probably felt that it was expected of them to eat salad.

So, why did someone decide that women can eat salads while men can have the burgers? Men can eat a lot, but women are not supposed to. And if a guy orders just a salad? Someone would call him a girl. Gosh, I would have died if I lived back when women were expected to make a big show out of refusing meat. I really love a good steak... medium rare, still moo-ing. Whoops I must be a man.

Then there was that part about eating as an erotic activity... I don't understand but it's ok if you're into that sort of thing.

Accurate representation of societal pressure on women.
And then there is the whole thing about being fat is bad, women definitely shouldn't be fat, and society places that pressure on women.

I feel like if society did not pressure women in to thinking that skinny is the only way to be beautiful, eating disorders would be less common.

I think that eating disorders should be classified as a type of female madness. Many of the disorders we talked about in class were caused by women being dissatisfied with their current situation (thanks, patriarchy). While the women who have an eating disorder may not see it as being dissatisfied, I would still say it was something brought on by patriarchy. I have never dealt with an eating disorder though, so I may have that totally wrong. I also think it's a good thing that there are different pro-anna or pro-mia websites out there. It provides support and shows them that they are not alone.

I also don't think you can regulate the internet, but that's a whole other story!



No comments:

Post a Comment